Coloquio internacional. De la introducción por parte de los organizadores: «During the Christianization of the Western Roman Empire, bishops established themselves in prominent positions in the cities from the 4th century onwards. They looked after the poor, acted as judges, were responsible for “construction booms”, and negotiated with duces, kings, or the emperor, not least when it came to ransoming prisoners. According to the communis opinio, we find this urban episcopal leadership particularly in Gaul, but research with a view to the late antique urban world of Hispania also states this phenomenon.
This international and interdisciplinary conference aims to explicitly compare episcopal rule in both regions through archaeological and thematic approaches. The case studies of paradigmatic cities will allow an analysis of the material manifestations of episcopal leadership. At the same time, the thematic approaches enable us to discuss the same process from diverse perspectives: administrative, political, economic, civic, literary and liturgical. Concerning these, how the urban episcopal leadership differs in both regions? Is it the same type of phenomena, and happened it simultaneously? Last but not least, to what extent did Rome continue to function as a paradigm for Gaul and Hispania?»
Con ponencias (entre otras) de
– Carlos Machado (University of St Andrews), Episcopal leadership and its limits in late antique Rome
– Alejandra Chavarria Arnau (Università degli Studi di Padova), The role of bishops in the christianization of urban landscapes in late roman Spain
– Albert V. Ribera i Lacomba (ICAC Tarragona) – Miquel Rosselló Mesquida (Independent researcher), The Valentia (Hispania) episcopal center. From the martyr (Vicentius) to the bishop (Iustinianus)
– Ian Wood (University of Leeds), Variations in ecclesiastical land acquisition in the VIth and VIIth centuries
– Gernot M. Müller (Universität Bonn), Constructing episcopal authority in post-roman letter collections
– Paulo Duarte Silva (Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro), Liturgy and authority in the early middle ages: the bishopric of Caesarius of Arles (502-542)
del 6 al 8 de marzo de 2023
Organisación: Sabine Panzram (Universität Hamburg – RomanIslam), Paulo Pachá (RomanIslam – Universität Hamburg – UFRJ), Marc Heijmans (Aix Marseille Université – CNRS – CCJ Aix-en-Provence)
Lugar: Warburg-Haus, Heilwigstr. 116, 20249 Hamburg. Además, actividad en línea a través de videoconferencia por zoom. Para registrarse deberá escribir un correo electrónico a Dr. Rocco Selvaggi (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Programa: Episcopal Leadership Hamburg 03.2023