Coloquio internacional. De la introducción por parte de los organizadores: «Rome’s fortunes have always been closely linked to the fortunes of the Roman Empire: a city flourishing during the period of expansion and at the apogee of the Empire, a city in decline during the disintegration phase of the Roman Empire, particularly the Pars Occidentis. It was precisely the crisis of the Western Roman Empire that slowly marked a turning point in the history of Rome, as, in the various dioceses, some cities gradually assumed a leading role in the Mediterranean area, clearly challenging the hitherto undisputed primacy of the ancient capital city.
Following in the footsteps of the March 2022 meeting, in which the role of Rome in the context of its transition from the city of the emperor to the city of the pope was discussed, this conference aims to investigate the development of all those urban realities that, for various reasons and in different ambers, entered in competition with Rome. Unlike the 2022 meeting, which focused exclusively on the Western Mediterranean, this workshop also looks to the Eastern Roman Empire, where the evolution of certain cultural, political, and religious phenomena entails the rise of as many cities, primarily Constantinople, that are bidding for the role of caput mundi.»
Con ponencias (entre otras) de
– Pilar Diarte Blasco (Universidad de Alcalá), Urban Transormations in the Dioecesis Hispaniarum
– Paulo Pachá (RomanIslam – Universität Hamburg – UFRJ), Beyond Rome? Toledo and the administration of Visigothic Iberia
– Marc Heijmans (Aix Marseille Université – CNRS – CCJ Aix-en-Provence), Late antique provincial capitals in southern Gaul
– Konrad Vössing (Universität Bonn), Carthage and Rome, 455-476?
– Dominic Moreau (Université de Lille), Dioecesis Moesiae: A Short-Lived Diocese that had a Major Long-Term Impact for East-West Relations
– Giandomenico Ferrazza (Università Roma Tre), The greek papacy
del 15 al 17 de febrero de 2023
Organisación: RomanIslam – Rocco Selvaggi – Sabine Panzram, Universität Hamburg, Edmund-Siemers-Allee 1 / R. 11-21, 20146 Hamburg; Alberto D‘Anna – Carla Noce, Università degli Studi «Roma Tre», Dipartimento di Studi Umanistici, via Ostiense 234, 00146 Roma
Lugar: Università degli Studi «Roma Tre», Dipartimento di Studi Umanistici, via Ostiense 234, 00146 Roma
Programa: Roma, still Caput Mundi II, 02.2023